Meet the team 2021
UYC Staff 2021
Edmund Clarke, Sailing Manager (Training and Sailing School)
I have been sailing on Ullswater since I was young. I can remember getting my first boat, a Topper called Broomstick, it was yellow. Now I race in Musto Skiff and a VX One
As Sailing Manager (Training) for Ullswater Yacht Club:
* I help all of our members enjoy our beautiful sailing club and assist our volunteers.
* I assist the sailing committee with the running of our open meetings and club racing.
* I ensure safe day-to-day running of all of our sailing activities.
As Ullswater Sailing School Chief Instructor:
* I have day-to-day responsibility for the standards of training, equipment maintenance and wellbeing of our students and instructors.
* I am available to deal with any issues relating to course delivery.
* I provide oversight of all processes relating to course booking and delivery.
* I work closely with Claire Neilson, Ullswater Sailing School Training Principal, who takes overall responsibility for ensuring that it meets or exceeds the requirements for RYA accreditation.
- Edmund Clarke, 07826 382612, email@example.com
Steve Sykes, Sailing Manager (Programme)
Steve started traveling at the age of 16, inspired by his father. Initially around Southern Africa and when apartheid fell, the world. He met his partner Sarah in Israel in 1996. They came to Ullswater in 2003 and learnt to sail in a GP14. Inspired by what sailing can offer, he dedicated all his time gaining the necessary qualifications in order to teach and then run a successful little sailing school. Sarah continued her travelling, exploring the South China seas in a 40' steel ketch.
Covid-19 led to Steve's redundancy but UYC stepped in and allowed him to continue to do what he loves doing best working with and inspiring other people with what has got to be one of the finest ways of maintaining both physical and mental equilibrium sailing.
Sarah and Steve now have two boys and live in a village on the shores of Ullswater.
- Steve Sykes, 07917 703930, firstname.lastname@example.org
Mark Humphries, Site & Hospitality Manager
With a passion for all things on or in the water I have built a career working on or around boats. I spent 12 years working on Windermere as a senior watersports instructor, boatyard technician and on lakeside property maintenance. Then three years in the North-east as a boatyard manager as well as founding and running my own boat maintenance company. I now have the pleasure of working as the Facilities Manager at UYC and I enjoy maintaining a safe and tranquil environment for all our members to use.
My role is to look after the general running of the site and manage any site improvement projects from the planning stage to finished product, overseeing and organising the safe usage of all aspects of the club site from launching cruisers and dinghies, pitching of tents and motorhomes and instructing contractors to the condition of the lawns.
Between running my own business and working for UYC, I enjoy spending time with my family and dogs as well as pursuing my hobbies in motorsport, sailing and wakeboarding. I look forward to seeing you all at UYC.
- Mark Humphries, 07704 778916, email@example.com
Last updated 09:51 on 28 September 2021