Meet the Team
Edmund Clarke, Sailing Development Manager
I have been sailing on Ullswater since I was young. I can remember getting my first boat, a Topper called Broomstick, it was yellow. Now I race in Musto Skiff and a VX One
As Sailing Development Manager for Ullswater Yacht Club:
* I help all of our members enjoy our beautiful sailing club and assist our volunteers.
* I assist the sailing committee with the running of our open meetings and club racing.
* I ensure safe day-to-day running of all of our sailing activities.
As Ullswater Sailing School Chief Instructor:
* I have day-to-day responsibility for the standards of training, equipment maintenance and wellbeing of our students and instructors.
* I am available to deal with any issues relating to course delivery.
* I provide oversight of all processes relating to course booking and delivery.
* I work closely with Claire Neilson, Ullswater Sailing School Training Principal, who takes overall responsibility for ensuring that it meets or exceeds the requirements for RYA accreditation.
- Edmund Clarke, 07826 382612, SDM@ullswateryachtclub.org.uk
Steve Sykes, Sailing Programme Manager
Steve started traveling at the age of 16, inspired by his father. Initially around Southern Africa and when apartheid fell, the world. He met his partner Sarah in Israel in 1996. They came to Ullswater in 2003 and learnt to sail in a GP14. Inspired by what sailing can offer, he dedicated all his time gaining the necessary qualifications in order to teach and then run a successful little sailing school. Sarah continued her travelling, exploring the South China seas in a 40' steel ketch.
Covid-19 led to Steve's redundancy but UYC stepped in and allowed him to continue to do what he loves doing best working with and inspiring other people with what has got to be one of the finest ways of maintaining both physical and mental equilibrium sailing.
Sarah and Steve now have two boys and live in a village on the shores of Ullswater.
- Steve Sykes, 07917 703930, SPM@ullswateryachtclub.org.uk
James Watts, Sail Training Officer
James started work in June 2022 as the new Sail Training Officer at Ullswater Yacht Club's Sailing School. James has been sailing for around ten years and is a passionate sailor and windsurfer. He grew up in Hull and moved to Cumbria to start his new job, delighted by the warm welcome from club members and thrilled to be working in such a beautiful location. He is responsible for the day-to-day running of Ullswater Sailing School which is an RYA Training Centre and arrived just in time for the busy summer season.
James Watts, 07428 289208, STO@ullswateryachtclub.org.uk
Last updated 13:49 on 14 September 2022