UYC is a recognised RYA Training Centre, this means we run courses throughout the year in accordance with the RYA schemes. All our instructors are fully qualified and are usually volunteers from within the club. Whether you are just starting out or wanting to develop your current skills, there will be a programme to suit you.
Training schedule for UYC members:
Keelboat induction: 9 April
Keelboat induction: 16 April
Training weekend: 7 & 8 May
Saturday morning (Spring series): 28 May, 11 & 25 June, 9 July
Saturday morning (Autumn series): 3, 10, 17 & 24 September
Sunday 24 to Friday 29 July
Coached Saturdays, free, no booking required
Blokes in Boats, (BIB) Ladies Who Launch (LWL) Youth & Junior (YAJ) 10am till 12
Saturdays 9, 16 & 30 April; 14 May; 4 June; 23 & 30 July; 1 & 8 Oct.
Adult Training (age 16+) 2 Day courses following the RYA Adult Scheme:
* Level 1 Start Sailing an introduction to the sport covering the minimum knowledge to get afloat and sail under supervision in light winds.
* Level 2 Basic Skills Covering the foundations of the sport and enabling you to sail independently in good conditions.
* Level 3 Better Sailing Consolidating skills learnt in levels 1 and 2, and introducing some new skills from the advanced modules.
Junior Training (age 8-16) 2 Day courses following the RYA Junior Scheme:
* Stage 1 A basic understanding of how a boat sails with some experience of handling a boat under supervision.
* Stage 2 Developing a range of sailing skills and knowledge and becoming well on the way to being a confident sailor.
* Stage 3 Rigging, launching and being able to sail in any direction independently in moderate conditions.
* Stage 4 Developing the skills to sail a double-handed boat
Advanced Modules Both for adults and juniors upon completion of the above (Stage 4 optional):
* Seamanship Skills
* Sailing with spinnakers
* Start Racing
* Performance Sailing
Dinghy Instructor Training
A five-day course for competent sailors, with current first aid and powerboat level 2, who would like to inspire others and promote the sport of sailing.
Powerboat Level 2 These are 2 day courses to help you gain essential skills in handling powerboats. These skills can be utilised when on safety duty. You can also book on for a direct assessment if you an experienced powerboater.
First Aid A one-day nationally recognised course with a bias towards water sports.
For further information on booking and course dates please speak to our Sailing Manager Edmund Clarke, 01768 807450 or email SDM@ullswateryachtclub.org.uk
Last updated 18:57 on 16 May 2022