Corvid-19 update 19.3.20
Published 20:39 on 19 Mar 2020
Commodore Urgent Update 19 March 2020
Safeguarding the health of members and visitors to the Club is paramount and in line with the Government's advice to avoid non-essential contact and social gatherings, the Board has decided to close the Clubhouse and cancel racing, training and all other organised sailing activities at the Club (including the Poets and 2020 Daffodil Regatta) until further notice as it would be difficult for members to avoid close contact with others when using the Clubhouse, race office and providing safety cover. This was a key consideration in making this decision.
While the Clubhouse toilets, changing facilities, members kitchen will be closed, the Club's grounds will remain open to members subject to any further advice / restrictions by the Government.
In line with this, Members and any members of the same household must not visit the site if they exhibit any actual or potential symptoms of Covid-19 and members using the site must follow the Government's distancing advice.
Nonetheless, being out on the water is probably one the best ways of maintaining a good balance and staying fit and healthy. While the above measures present inconveniences and challenges they do not prevent suitably experienced members from sailing. However, the Board emphasises that the Club will be unable to provide safety cover, toilet and shower facilities until further notice and any members who venture onto the lake will be doing so at their own risk. In particular, you are advised to remain in sight of other boats or someone on shore who is watching you.
The government guidance is available:
Cancelled / postponed events and activities
Sailing programme postponed until further notice
Daffodil event cancelled
Sailing School activities cancelled until further notice
UYC training postponed until further notice
Club duties postponed until further notice
Safety cover postponed until further notice
Future events - under review
Guidance about what is allowed
Access to site subject to members complying with Government advice on social distancing etc. Members will need to make own arrangements for changing /toilets /hand sanitisers etc Toilets could be accessed at Waterside or at Pooley Bridge if facilities are open
Members who wish to use motor homes can do so on weekend designated nights only if they can be self- sufficient and comply with Government advice.
Leisure sailing - subject to complying with government advice and at own risk.
Edmund Clarke, Sailing Manager and Mark Humphries, Facilities Manager will still be carrying out work both on and off site. The club has a duty of care for our staff and must comply with Government guidance about social distancing and therefore it is essential that members comply with this in their interaction with them. This will affect the way they can approach and help members but I'm sure we can adapt to this situation.
Edmund will be circulating information to cruiser members to confirm your plans for launching as they may have changed given the situation.
Many members have booked for the club organised launching of cruisers in April. These members need to confirm that they wish to proceed with this, and the launches will go ahead. The Board have agreed that to reduce social distancing no members should to be present for this as this will be undertaken by employees.
For those members who wish to defer launching, the club will be organising a launch session later in the season as and when the current restrictions are lifted. In the meantime, cruisers can be stored on site and no summer storage fees will be levied for that period. If stored on site, they will need to be able to be moved in order that we can properly arrange them or access other members boats.
Members can launch their own cruisers at their own risk but this should take place Mon -Friday. You must take into consideration the Health & Safety of yourself and others. Club employees will not be able to assist and if this is going to cause problems members should consider booking a club launch service.
Members webinar 28 March 2020 10.30 Postponed
This webinar for members will be postponed while we finalise the technical process of how we can deliver this and therefore a revised date will follow once sorted. Apologises for the delay.
The Board appreciate the impact of these changes but feel that these are the most appropriate actions in these exceptional circumstances, we will continue to monitor the situation and the daily Government guidance updates.
The club has survived two floods and other challenges over years and am sure that we will get through this and get the club back into action and be able to enjoy sailing.
If members have any queries, please do contact me.
In the meantime, please take care and follow Government and medical advice on keeping safe.
Paul O'Hara. Commodore email@example.com
Last updated 09:45 on 29 May 2020