Family Learn to Sail Week 2019
Family Learn to Sail Week, August 12 - 16, 2019
Family Learn to Sail Week, the week following Sail Camp, was a new event for the club in 2018 and was a huge success. In 2019 it promises to be bigger and better. It's a mixture of tuition for those who want it, some racing and lots of family fun on and off the water, suitable for ALL AGES and abilities, and members are encouraged to come along with their children and grandchildren.
The ethos of the week is family fun for everybody based around the wonderful facilities and location of Ullswater Yacht Club. There will be a mixture of leisure sailing, semi-serious racing, family activities, water-based youth clubs and on-shore family fun, together with a range of Ullswater Sailing School lessons available at a discounted price. Non-sailors will be welcome to join in as they wish or use the club as a base and enjoy everything the Lake District has to offer. We welcome members and non-members, those wishing to camp and those who want to join us on a daily basis. The plan is flexible as it is dependent on the weather. We welcome the input and help of participants to make this a relaxed and fun week.
COSTS: Motorhomes & camping (sorry no caravans)
Details to comeWhat to bring with you
* A BIG smile
* Any boats / canoes / inflatables / SUPs & windsurfers you have at your disposal
* Water pistols, and big sponges
* Clothes for sailing and life jackets and helmets (Sailing School can provide while training)
* Pirate costumes
* Plastic water bottles and things to make bottle rockets and model boat building
* Board games and lawn games
* Food for at least two BBQs - one on the club site and one at the lagoon down the lake (we will provide charcoal and a large BBQ for down the lake). For those in tents will provide cold storage for the week. Please bring this in a CLEARLY MARKED cool box. Don't forget marshmallows, kebab sticks and chocolate covered digestives
* Craft activities =
* Kites to fly on Birkett Field
One of the highlights will be an afternoon somewhere on the lake where we will set up a communal BBQ. Everyone will be welcome, sailors and non-sailors. We hope a number of cruisers will join us so non-sailors will be invited to hop aboard and enjoy a G&T on the sail down. We will be taking at least one rib with all the equipment and we will ferry the children to TREASURE ISLAND to explore. People always enjoy jumping into the lake off the rocks so we can use the rib for safety cover (please remember helmets).
Catering or self-catering – the choice is yours
You are, of course, welcome to cater for yourself but for those who don't want to wash up, the Galley will be open with a limited selection (SUBJECT TO CONFIRMATION)
* Breakfast – The club will provide a revised selection daily at the usual rate* Lunch – A light help-yourself selection will provided at usual prices (soup / sandwiches / pies etc) possibly pre ordered at breakfast
* Evening meals – when we're not having a BBQ, a simple evening meal will be available. (Discounted for children)
We will open the bar every evening
For more details and to register your interest in Family Learn to Sail Week at UYC, please contact:
Andrew Bailey 07801 606 082. 01228 523 299 (work). 01228 561 115 (home). Email Rotary@balchins.co.uk
Learn to Sail with us
Sailing Development Officer Edmund Clarke will be on hand all week looking after the Sailing School and ensuring everybody has a great experience. We would encourage you to book any courses you would like in advance so he can plan. Private lessons for adults can also be arranged, subject to advance booking.
RYA Level One - Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Aug 12-14.
RYA Level Two - Thursday and Friday, Aug 15 & 16.
RYA Level One and Two - Aug 12-16.
If you book more than one person on the course there is a 10% discount. Club members get a 20% discount on all courses. Prices to come.
A Kids Club for young sailors will be held all week - 9.30am till noon Monday to Friday. Club members get a 20% discount. Prices to come
For more details, please contact Edmund on firstname.lastname@example.org Mobile 07826382612.
Last updated 11:01 on 14 January 2019