Three Peaks Challenge, August 7, 2021
Saturday, August 7 is our special day in memory of Ian Priestley and Fiona Gibson.
All club members are invited to take part in the Three Peaks Challenge from 11am, a sail/walk/run fun event for everyone. It's an event that Ian tried to organise a couple of times, but never managed to pull off. Now we are holding it in his memory. Fiona, with her passion for sailing, adventure and a challenge would have loved it too.
The Three Peaks are Arthur's Pike, Hallin Fell and Gowbarrow Fell that's the Gold Fleet course for runners. There's a Silver Fleet option for walkers - the Wainwright Sitting Stone on the way to Arthur's Pike, Birkett Crag on the way to Hallin Fell and the top of Aira Force on the way to Gowbarrow Fell. The teams, in dinghies or cruisers, will sail to the drop-off point for each Peak. A safety boat will be available to ferry runners/walkers to the shore if needed and pick them up to take them back to their team boat.
The start will be from the club with the runners/walkers going up Arthur's Pike or to the Sitting Stone. They will be picked up by their team boats and taken to the beach near Birkett Crag for the next stage to Birkett Crag or Hallin Fell. The final leg is to Aira Force and Gowbarrow Fell, then back to the finish line at the club.
For full details see the Notice of Race and accompanying maps, see below:
Notice of Race. Stage 1 Map. Stage 2 Map. Stage 3 Map. All Stages Map
There is no handicapping and teams can choose any combination of Gold or Silver Fleet. The aim is not to win but to enjoy the challenge in the beautiful environment of Ullswater and the surrounding peaks.
If you would like to take part please register your interest, see below. If you are not part of a full team we will match up boats/sailors/runners and walkers to make complete teams.
There will be a separate Mini Three Peaks for junior sailors organised by Steve and Kathryn Potter.
The Three Peaks Challenge will be followed by a barbecue at 5pm.
Please choose one of the following numbered sentences below and email it with any additional information (if you are not a UYC member please tell us your connection to UYC) and your contact details to Sue Giles at the address below. Please indicate if you are the team captain and your team name in the email. email@example.com
- 1. I am a sailor, with boat and a complete team
- 2. I am a sailor with a cruiser and require x number of crew and x walkers/runners
- 3. I am a sailor with a dinghy and require x number of crew and x walkers/runners
- 4. I am a sailor only and want to join a team sailing a cruiser
- 5. I am a sailor only and want to join a team sailing a dinghy
- 6. I am a walker/runner and want to join a team with a cruiser (generally stay dry)
- 7. I am a walker/runner and want to join a team with a dinghy (generally get wet)
- UYC 3 Peaks Challenge Notice of Race.pdf
- 1. UYC 3 Peaks Challenge Stage 1 Arthurs Pike.pdf
- 2. UYC 3 Peaks Challenge Stage 2 Hallin Fell.pdf
- 3. UYC 3 Peaks Challenge Stage 3 Gowbarrow Fell.pdf
- 4. UYC 3 Peaks Challenge Large Map.pdf
Last updated 12:03 on 16 July 2021