Development Days - new for 2023
Development Days are a new initiative for the club in 2023. They are being held on eight Saturdays April 15, June 3, June 24, July 22, July 29, August 19, September 9 and October 7. The aims are:
* To develop the skills of our members which benefits them at a personal level and hopefully means that they get more out of their sailing activities at UYC.
* To increase participation across all fleets, age groups and throughout the membership.
* To get more boats out of the dinghy park, off moorings and on the water with the required skills and confidence to be safe and competent sailors.
* To facilitate training such that we can call upon the volunteer pool that is required for the effective running of club activities.
* To widen the club offering to members and prospective members looking in.
* Powerboat 'refresher sessions' for those members who have a PB2 qualification but feel the need to brush up their skills. These will be 2 hour sessions and will be free of charge.
* PB2 course which will run over the Saturday and Sunday at a nominal cost of £50.
* For those who already hold PB2 and want to take things to the next level there will also be a Safety Boat course available. Again over the 2 days at a cost of £50.
* Race Box training to give members the confidence to get involved as Race Officers etc.
We have club training in the morning but in the afternoon there will be racing adopting a pursuit format.
* Adult Race consisting of a 90 minute race. This should help to encourage those who are new to racing to get involved and is a different format which should be an interesting change. Many of our national major dinghy events adopt a pursuit basis and it can make for a different day's sailing.
* Separate Race for the Juniors which will be a little shorter.
On future Saturdays we have plans for the other DDs including sprint racing, class coaching etc, further details to follow.
- - Chris Mulholland, UYC Training Rep
Last updated 17:19 on 2 February 2023