Training at Ullswater Sailing School and UYC 2017
UYC is a recognised RYA Training Centre, this means we run courses throughout the year in accordance with the RYA schemes. All our instructors are fully qualified and are usually volunteers from within the club. The programmes start at the beginning of May including the UYC members' training. Whether you are just starting out or wanting to develop your current skills, there will be a programme to suit you.
Adult Training (age 16+) 2 Day courses following the RYA Adult Scheme:
* Level 1 Start Sailing – an introduction to the sport covering the minimum knowledge to get afloat and sail under supervision in light winds.
* Level 2 Basic Skills – Covering the foundations of the sport and enabling you to sail independently in good conditions.
* Level 3 Better Sailing – Consolidating skills learnt in levels 1 and 2, and introducing some new skills from the advanced modules.
Junior Training (age 7-16) 2 Day courses following the RYA Junior Scheme:
* Stage 1 A basic understanding of how a boat sails with some experience of handling a boat under supervision.
* Stage 2 Developing a range of sailing skills and knowledge and becoming well on the way to being a confident sailor.
* Stage 3 Rigging, launching and being able to sail in any direction independently in moderate conditions.
* Stage 4 Developing the skills to sail a double-handed boat
Advanced Modules – Both for adults and juniors upon completion of the above (Stage 4 optional):
* Seamanship Skills
* Sailing with spinnakers
* Start Racing
* Performance Sailing
Other available training:
Powerboat Level 2 These are 2 day courses to help you gain essential skills in handling powerboats. These skills can be utilised when on safety duty. You can also book on for a direct assessment if you an experienced powerboater.
First Aid A one-day nationally recognised course with a bias towards water sports.
Race Office Training Saturday morning session for those who may not have done Race Duty before. 25 March and 8 April, starting at 09.30. Contact Neil Thompson email@example.com
Sail Training Course Dates
Course A May 6 and 7
Course B May 13, 27 and June 3, 10
Course C September 2, 9, 23, 30
Sail Camp July 31 to Aug 4
Please note that although we will do our best to accommodate everyone’s requirements, all levels may not be available on every course. Please check the booking form for details.
Youth Club This will be running on a Friday, 6-8pm.
Splash Out These are fun sessions throughout the summer holidays.
Booking is essential
For further information on booking and course dates please see the website www.ullswatersailingschool.org or speak to our Sailing Development Officer via text or phone call 07900 855812 or email firstname.lastname@example.org